I have to say that I am not complaining about the weather here in England today. Yesterday on my way home from the gym, the temperature outside was 54°F…….in England… in January. I am truly amazed by the weather we are having. Sure, it’s windy here… but I can handle the wind. If you are in the states and affected by the freezing cold weather…. I’m sorry. I do feel sorry for you and hope it warms up soon. In the meantime, while it is freezing cold there, you have to eat, right? Luckily, I have the perfect recipe for a soup that will warm you up.
There is just something about a warm bowl of soup for lunch that is so satisfying. Over the weekend, I made a big pot of this chicken tortilla soup, without the tortillas chips. This soup is loaded with fresh vegetables and will warm you up in no time. You can make this as hot (spicy) as you want. I made Dan a separate pot of soup and added habaneras. (And… HE added ghost chili powder.) My mouth is on fire from the jalapeno, I’ll pass on the habaneras.
Not only are soups satisfying, they are simple to make; you basically throw everything in the pot and let it simmer for a while. I normally make our soup right after breakfast and let it simmer until lunch. I’m already in the kitchen, and normally one of the girls will help me cut up the veggies and keep me company. The recipe below is super healthy and delicious as it, however, if you want to add more to it, like tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream, etc…. go ahead….just know that will be an extra 10-15 minutes on the treadmill tomorrow.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 Jalapeno pepper, seeded and de-veined if you don't want it spicy, diced
- 2 habaneros (optional and ONLY if you can handle the heat), diced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 small can tomato paste, 6 ounces
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes, 14 ounces
- 32 ounces chicken broth (reduced sodium)
- 2 boneless chicken breast (or thighs) cooked chicken, shredded
- Top with:
- In a large soup pot, melt the coconut oil and sauté the diced onion until it becomes translucent and the edges begin to brown. Add the diced bell pepper, carrots, celery, and jalapeno pepper (& habanero, if desired). Cook for about 3-4 minutes, until veggies are soft.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste, then add the cumin, and cilantro, stir until well combined. Allow to cook for a few more minutes.
- Next, add the tomato paste, fire roasted tomatoes, and chicken broth – stir to incorporate. Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the flavors are well combined.
- When the soup is nearly complete, add the cooked chicken to the pot just to heat it all the way through.
- Serve garnished with fresh chopped cilantro and avocado slices.